Monday, October 17, 2011

Ok, back at it!

After my short adventure as a pro/elite triathlete I am back in the real world. As many of my friends and family know, I left a fantastic job at a great company to pursue a career racing triathlons. It was short lived, with me heading back to work part time and then full time and training sporadically this summer. Let's take a quick look back and a longer look forward.
May 2010:
Early May I won my AG at Escape from Alcatraz. It's a good long swim, which favors me, but I had a solid race, start to finish.
I left Franklin Templeton at the end of May to get the adventure started.
June 2010:
Honu 70.3 went well. Solid swim. Fast but maybe too hard of a ride. Painful and slow run. 2nd in the AG was disappointing but it was still and ok day.
July 2010:
Fun day at Trans Tahoe, but felt sick for Vineman 70.3 and DNS. Hindsight may say that this should have been evidence that racing for money was "for me" as I decided that a podium there was a negative for my "career". I did not have the confidence that I would win my AG. Bad sign now that I think about it.
August 2010:
H2C, one of the greatest athletic events I have ever participated in. Ran pretty fast too. 4:59 pace for 5 miles (downhill of course).
September 2010: Train on my own for Kona.
October 2010:
KONA! I went out a week early to aclimate. I had a great time with Albert Boyce, helping out his Coffees of Hawaii boat each morning. He is a seasoned vet in Kona and an all around great guy. Meet Albert, shake his hand, your life will be better.
Race went pretty good. Solid swim, solid bike, and go for it run. I went out way too fast for the win and I did not have the fitness or talent to maintain it so I blew a bit. But 9:18 is a good day in Kona. Top 100, and top 10 AG.
November and December 2010:
I joined Paulo Souza's Triathlon Squad. These first couple months were on my own at home, training under Paulo's weekly guidance. Running was the focus and I was swimming with MSJA. In December I swam USA Sectionals and was ~5% slower than my best times. Not bad for a 28 year old.
January 2011:
More training at home before heading to Las Cruces NM for the first training camp. It was a lot of work and I got fit. Good group of guys and gals and great training. Living in a hotel was not a blast, but it was ok for a couple weeks.
February 2011:
More training at home before leaving for Tuscon for the Feb/March 3 week camp.
March 2011:
This training was good as well. Pool time was strong, roads a bit shitty, and runs were making progress. It was in Tuscon I received a call from my current employer. He was a friend of one of my colleagues at Franklin and was looking for some part-time work to help gather some more assets. It was at this moment my mind began to switch away from triathlon. "Could it work?" "Could I do both?" I though yes, so I jumped at the opportunity.
April 2011: I get a job and Danny moves us to the city. I could (and still can) barely afford to live there but I am sure damn happy I did. My life 1 year later from when I left Franklin is way better, partly for reasons I will lay out, but mostly for reasons I will keep private. Those who know why, know why.
May 2011:
Enjoy my new life.
June 2011:
Have a poor pro Escape from Alcatraz, but an ok race otherwise. Enjoy my life.
July 2011:
Enjoy my life. Fun Trans Tahoe. Not a horrible Donner Triathlon. Enjoy my life. Sub 3 SF Marathon.
August 2011:
Enjoy life.
September 2011:
Enjoy life.
October 2011:
Enjoy life. Run Nike Women's 1/2 marathon.
What is next?
I have decided to focus 100 percent on my career back in the finance/investment management industry and let triathlon/cycling/running/swimming career go back to being an important hobby. There will be IMs, Marathons, and stage races in my future, but it has been moved down on my priority list. I want to be back at Kona, smiling. These sports are fun for the insane and I am insane. But I do not want to be worried about pressure from my self that is imposed for no reason. Family, friends and work are more important.
2012:
Oceanside 70.3
Boston Marathon
Escape from Alcatraz
IM CdA
Vegas 70.3?
Kona IM?
Other fun races such as Trans Tahoe? H2C? Cascade Classic? Spring NCNCA Classics? Hopefully!

Also, I would like to keep this think more updated. It keeps me honest and motivated.

Training in September and October has mostly been with Five Rings Cycling Center. I have a hill in San Mateo that I sprint to the top and then do 20 squat jumps. Repeat 20 times and then jog home. Also finish all these workouts with 8 strides. I will need to add some miles for the November Malibu Marathon, but also add a few long rides with the boys. Last Saturday was fun. Mellow ride and Blue Barn coffee. Rough life, I like it.