Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wente RR report

I always do poorly in this race. I think I have 9th place from 2005 as
a Cat 4, but that was when the race finished on the small hill by
LLBL. Since I have upgraded, just can't hang with the big guns very
long in this race.
This year was really no different:
1st time up the hill the top three got KOM. That's fine if we let 3
go, but the group romped up the hill at a pretty good clip. I was able
to stay attached while some went out the back.
2nd time up the hill I was able to hold on to the main group as a
large group went up the road.
as we approached the 3rd time up the hill Jackson personally brought
back about 1 min and we reached the large break at the base of the
hill. I was hurting at the back of Jackson's group and when we hit the
hill I was stuck behind some joker. I know him from the Marin ride and
he is a joker, but it's my fault for being at the back. I was able to
connect with a group of 4 AV guys and a few others. After the downhill
and before the second downhill I eased off a moment and lost the
group.
I was joined by the groupetto and did an "easy" lap for my fourth time
up the hill. As we passed the cars I pealed off and went to 7-Eleven.
I rode back up to the finish to see Hal and Jamie finish strong in
their race and see Nate English and the reigning US RR Champ killing
eachother up the finish. Not sure who won, but Nate was stuck in
front.

C+ for this race but actually did a tad better then I thought I would
do. After Wildflower I will get some 500+ watt efforts to get ready
for Alcatraz and that should help the road racing.

2007 Trek Madone , Sram Red, Reynolds DV46T, PRO handlebars and Stem,
Fizik Arione saddle

Coble