Monday, January 3, 2011

MSJA Swimmers ROC Winter Sectionals

Triathletes have always been known as early adapters and nutrition is
no different. Since GU launched their first product back in 1991,
triathletes have been using GUs (and now Roctane Ultra Endurance
Energy Gels, Chomps Energy Chews, GU Brew and GU Recovery Brew) to
fuel training and racing. But take a look at the three sports that
comprise a triathlon: swim, bike, and run. Each sport is decades
behind triathlon. Let's take a quick look at each sport's nutrition
and a swimming example of how GU can enhance performance.
Run:
If you search different running websites about nutrition they mostly
speak about general nutrition. All of these articles about eating more
vegetables and whole wheat bagels are good information, but rarely
speak about fueling during runs and races. Shoot, even when you read
about the nutrition of the great Kenyan runners you they talk about
corn mush as all these great athletes need to run dozens of sub 2:10
marathons. This discussion is not about economic conditions of
sub-Saharan Africa, but can you imagine how much faster they could run
(or at least how many more sub 2:10s could be produced each year)?
Cycling:
This sport is the closest to triathlon in terms of nutritional
acceptance. Bars, gels, and sports drinks have been in the sport for
years. But if you see what the Tour de France riders are eating on
epic stages you can't help but think that a ham and cheese croissant
sandwich is not the most efficient fuel. Tradition rules in this
sport. They seem to end each stage with a Coca-Cola. I'll skip the
doping debate.
Swimming:
This is one of the most interesting to take a look at. I trained 30+
hours a week when in college and during this time there may have been
some Gatorade on deck but I rarely drank much. Two or three hour swim
practices are often done on zero calories. This is preposterous to a
triathlete. Plus swimming is the one sport where weight is the lowest
concern. Why are they not eating? MSJA has added a new requirement for
the senior and national groups where a minimum of 100 calories must be
consumed per hour per workout. My choice of fuel is Pineapple Roctane.

2010 Winter Sectionals
All of this brings me to how MSJA (Mission San Jose Aquatics)
discovered GU and GU Roctane as a racing fuel. The winter focus meet
for the team was held down in Long Beach, CA at Belmont Olympic Plaza,
an old but fast pool. I now train about 6-7 hours a week in the pool
(plus the other 15-20 I do on the bike and run) but was happy to head
down and swim a meet with the team's national squad and see how close
I could come to my old USC times. Even since my college days I have
used GU as a kick start to my race. It tops off my blood sugar right
before the race, adds a tad of caffeine for a boost, and gives me a
routine that tells my brain that it is time for a race. All three of
these are very valuable for a swim. My first race was the 200 fly, one
of my specialties from my USC days. I did not expect to be even close
to my old time, but having that pre-race GU got me out at the 100 with
great speed. The fact that I don't train for the event or even 1/3 of
the hours in the pool that got me to my lifetime bests left me short
of a making finals, but it was clear that I was there to race.
Also on the first day of the meet was the women's 100 free, a good
event for one of MSJA's top women. The problem for her in prelims was
she took the first 50 (25.4) out too slow. She was clearly on as she
came back in 26 flat. But she needed that boost to tell her it was
time to race. For finals, she popped a GU Roctane Island Nectar and
took the race out in 24.8 and finished strong for a lifetime best of
50 point.
By the end of the meet all 10 swimmers were utilizing GUs or GU
Roctanes to get them ready to race. After the meet Coach Debbie Potts
calculated the results from the meet at ~85% lifetime bests (with most
of that ~15% attributed to me, but then again they were "decade
bests").
My Results:
200 Fly 1:55
400 IM 4:08
200 IM 1:56
100 Fly :52
The team had a great meet and a great time down in Long Beach. Look
for more GU fueled results at high school championships in May and
Summer Sectionals and Nationals.
Keep fuelling,
Chris