Friday, January 14, 2011

Welcome to Las Cruces


Just rolled into Las Cruces, NM. Dad and I made the long trek from Fremont, CA seem easy. Thursday, 7am, we rolled out, grabbed a Pete's and headed south. We reached LA in time to have lunch with Kelly before her class. The plan was to try the new Freebird's that was having a grand opening by campus, but the line was around the corner. My Plan B was La Taquiza. A few Mulitas later, and we headed west. I10 was going to be our home for the next 12 hours of drive time.
Our original plan was to find a hotel in Pheonix, but after a tasty dinner at a Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives taco shop south of Tempe I had energy to make it to Tuscon. This was a good move because it made today much easier. So after a night at the Holiday Inn Express I felt much smarter and we found our way back onto I10 for a tour of southern AZ and NM. It all looked the same, until we dipped down toward the "Rio Grande" and saw the great view above.
Las Cruces looks to be a great place for a 2 week camp. Good roads (a few great roads and a lot of dirt roads) for riding and running, as well as NMSU's pool for some training. Add in some tasty Mexican food and I look to be fit and fast as can be in a couple weeks.
I'll let you know how we get on, feel free to follow many of the athletes on twitter and facebook. I will post here every few days.