Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Kings Mt.

Last night I was able to scoot out of work at about 3:30 and hop on
the bike to meet some co-workers to ride up Kings Mt. I jammed over
there down El Camino, up Whipple, over to Jefferson which turns into
Farm Hill Road. This hill is actually pretty tough. Not terrible long,
but you do need to get over the small range to get to Canada. I had to
work my way through the community college to get over to Canada Road
but I was able to get to my co-workers just as they were parking.
Pumped some tires and up the hill we go.
For those who don't know Kings Mt, it is about a 4 and change mile
climb just north of 84. It is slightly less steep and slightly longer
than Old La Honda. My fastest up OLH is ~17min and up Kings is ~23.
But I would say that Kings is a better test of race readiness since
most NCNCA races' climbs are not quite as steep as OLH.
We cruised the climb in ~34 min and then came down very carefully
since the sun had set about 30 min before.
I through the shoe covers on and jammed over to Rissoti's for a steak
sandwich and a steak sandwich (actually the first sandwich was
chicken, but if you are a Fletch fan you know I cannot resist the
opportunity to talk about steak sandwiches).

Today I have a "disaster recovery day" at work, which could in theory
give me the chance to get a huge ride in. But I have decided to be a
good son/brother and will spend some time with my mom and sister
instead. There will be plenty of time for epic rides. And since 2009
is right around the corner it seems like a natural "no more BS"
starting point.

2009 will be great. I would like to say "winner winner chicken dinner"
a few more times. 3 in 2008. How does 9 in '09 sound...?
Cobel