Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Off season and donuts

About a week and a half after my race and I still have a few pains
here and there. There is one part of my right foot that is hurting
pretty bad still and I am beginning to get worried that it is injured
rather than just hurt.

One benefit of having a good race is that you get to take some time
off at the end of a very long season. When I broke my arm July 1st of
'07 my off season started early. That meant that I was able to ramp up
the base mileage early and be ready to race come Jan/Feb. Starting
with Early Birds in Jan, a 1:19 1/2 marathon on Super Bowl Sunday and
the year was off and running. It did not really go as planned as a few
things distracted me in the early part of the year. I did not put up
the results that I had expected or hoped for. A few top tens and that
was about it. The low point was Copperopolis RR. I was riding
reasonably strong hanging with some climbers that usually drop me. On
the second lap I bridged back to the lead group and took a break to
grab a GU. Bam! on the ground. Shoulder jacked up. And about a 45
minute drive to the ER, by myself. My mom and sister ended up finding
me downtown Stockton at the ER and they drove me home. A small tear in
the labrum and my season was put on hold.

A few ok races followed in the summer but never really got it back.
Given this poor/weak performance I decided to sign up for the Hood To
Coast with some great guys from the Olympic Club. It really energized
me to ramp my running up. Then a few good tris, running races, and
then the IM. It couldnt have gone better.

But now I am eating donuts because its the off season. The holiday
party for work is tommorrow that will be my last feast. I am really
motivated to have a great year in 09 so the off season is almost
over...

Coble

P.S. Looking for sponsors. I will keep you updated as news comes out.