Wednesday, November 26, 2008

IMAZ, just about the race of my life

The recovery process has just started to begin from the grueling day
on Sunday. But every bit of pain now is worth it. I think I had the
race of my life!

Swim:
We hopped in at about 6:40 for a 7:00 start but I wanted to be sure I
started near the front, or at the front for that matter. The pros took
off at 6:50 with the sun just starting to rise straight in front of
us. 2000 people just treading water waiting for our gun. After the
national anthem and a few thank yous and quick speeches we were off. I
took it out pretty fast not wanting to have to deal with too many arms
and legs flapping around. But then after about 500 meters I got a
horrible pain in my lower abdomen/groin. Every stroke I took was
extremely painful. Being the over analyzer that I am I was worried
that it was a hernia. I thought to myself, "Game over?" All of that
training, down the tubes in 7 minutes? I had to significantly change
my stroke and to shorten up so as not to aggravate it too much. I
decided to finish the swim at an easier pace and see what it felt like
on the bike. As we made the turn around I started realling in the
pros, men and women. I ended up 4th in my age group out of the water
and had a safe transition. Not too fast, but it is an Ironman, so
what's the rush?

Bike:
My abdomen wasn't bothering me as I hopped on the bike so I decided to
take off. I had read a pro's blog about wattage output on his bike
being ~270W so I decided to stick it there. At times I would see it
pop up over 300W but would always tone it down a tad before it hit
310W. The course was three out an backs. Flat for a while, then a
gradual false flat rising 450-500 feet per "lap". The first two
lengths had a head wind out and a tail wind back to transition, but
the third leg, the wind changed. I dont know what direction, but it
changed.
Knowing that my goal was to stick it at 270W rather than XX mph, I was
able to measure my energy output without being caught up in speed.
That being said, I was moving. I caught the lead Age Grouper (30 year
old from San Diego) coming back to transition on the first leg. Plus,
I was starting to real in the pros, men and women. It took me until
the 3rd leg to catch Joanna Ziegler, but I finally picked her off. The
third leg was definately the hardest. I think my nutrition was good,
but 180k (112 miles) is a long way no matter what. My eating strategy
was the following:
Hour 1: GU Roctane every 20 min plus water (<30 oz for that hour)
Hour 2: 2 scoops of Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem in a 20oz water bottle,
+ a little normal water
Hour 3: like hour 1
Hour 4: like hour 2
Hour 5: like hour 1(44 min)
This was a great plan that I took from a handful of resources, but
primarily from Hammer Nutrition's site.

Run:
A marathon! Are you kidding me? The farthest I have ever run was 2:06.
Maybe 16-17 tops! So I just set into a good pace. Hindsight looking at
my splits I may have went out too fast because I was in a tunnel from
mile 12-20, but I was able to keep with it. For nutrition I did 4
bottles on my fuel belt. Each had a Gu Roctane and a 1/2 a Nuun. This
gave me some calories and extra sodium/electrolytes. I ditched belt
about 1/2 way and grabbed a few GU Roctanes to run with. I was
grabbing sponges at the front and end of every aid station to pour on
my head. I think this really helped regulate my body temperature.
After a long run, the longest in my life, I was finally coming to the
last few miles. I knew I was still in the Age Group lead. The last
couple miles I was able to soak in the race atmosphere some. That
being said I had no idea how big or small the lead was so I never sat
up. I ended up running a 3:08.xx marathon. Fast enough to qualify for
Boston if it was a stand-alone race. Maybe I will do one some day.
It was an amazing experience crossing the finish line. I was so happy
that it went so well. The time was faster than I expected and getting
a slot to Kona is a real treat.
See you all in Kona next year!

Thank yous!:
Thank you Mom, Dad, Danny and Kelly! It was a long drive out and a
really long day in the sun to be able to see me about a dozen times
over 9 hours. I have an amazing family that truly cares about each
other. I could not ask for more.
Thank you to all of my friends who rooted me on. Many of you may think
I am crazy, but imagine how boring I would be if I wasn't.
Thank you to the Olympic Club. Great friends, great resources, great
people. I love racing for the flying O.
Thank you to Muddy Waters for a little guidance while at the race.
Plus cheers from Hauth, Matthew, Eve and Andy.
Thank you Cyclepath San Mateo including Gebhard, DMan and Roger for
helping me out to get the bike set up and ready to go. A 4:44 was
faster than expected.
Thank you Hammer Nutrition for such great guidance and fueling
products. I am a true believer.
Thank you to anyone I left off. Everyone has an impact on my life and
has helped shape me to who I am today. Good results or bad, I have my
friends. And since I am really picky, I have only have really good
friends.

Coble