Monday, November 10, 2008

The final countdown

Well, taper has officially begun. My last brick yesterday was rather
successful. Since it rained pretty good on Saturday I decided to have
a little later start so that the ground could dry some. The plan was
to meet at Peet's on Chestnut at 9am, watch a few "walk of shames" and
then head out. The SF crew was a no show, but Matt Talbot and Matthew
Davie both happened to show up just by chance. I chatted with them for
a bit and then headed out solo. Did a good Lucas Valley loop, with
some good efforts. I'll check the SRM and post the data a tad later.
But it was about 65 miles in total. I had 2 bottles of Hammer
Sustained Energy + Hammer Gel on the ride and also tested the new
Speedfil. I think I have stuff dialed in for race day.
After cruising through Chestnut and Union to see the beautiful people
I headed home and threw on the running shoes for a brick. I decided
that a good plan would be to do 1:30. Grabbed the fuel belt
(fuelbelt.com) with 2 Hammer Sustained Energy + Hammer Gel and 2
water. My plan is to take in 4 oz every 12 min. Water, fuel, fuel,
water, fuel, fuel, water, fuel, etc. 1+2 ratio. I would like to be
between 200 and 250 cal per hour during the run. Assuming I took in
the proper amount on the ride.
Run was smooth and did not have too much pain. Sun was out and it was
only a little windy. On the way home I grabbed a Peet's and the took a
cab up over the hill back to my house. Taper had officially started.
Coble