Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Brick: Good idea or dumb as bricks

Monday night it was raining pretty good, so I decided to run a few errands. In my apartment in SF my circa 1992 clock radio does not get very good reception, so I decided to get a new radio and a fan for when I am riding the rollers. Best Buy (sorry mom, I know you hate that place) had a cool looking one that claimed to get good reception. A bit expensive for my liking but if it works it works. But there was not one fan for sale in all of SF. None at Best Buy, Office Max, or Costco. As any rider who lives somewhere other than LA, San Diego, or AZ knows, if you want to maintain fitness in the off season you need a set of rollers. But you sweat like a dog if you don't have an industrial fan blasting air on you. I guess I will continue sweating like a dog until I can steal one from my parents' house this week.
After 50 min on the rollers I was bored and drenched so I had the bright idea to go for a transition run. But as I mentioned in a post yesterday, my calf is injured/hurts. I took it easy, ran down to the Embarcadero, south around the Willie Mays statue and back north to Fisherman's Warf. I nice easy 50 min jog. I felt the strain, but the more I think about it I think my diagnosis is correct. I was dehydrated and ran on a cramp. I got a similar feeling in my quad sunday night and while I can feel the strain, I think it is not a limiting factor.
When I got back I had a small shake and iced the bejesus out of my leg. Felt great all night.
So 50 min rollers, 50 min run. Not a bad rainy day training as taper is getting ready to start.
Coble