Monday, November 3, 2008

Marin County Tri 10/26/08

My plan for this race was to swim fast, ride fast, and then set into a good rhythm for the run. There was a wicked current for the swim, that was 90 degrees from your right on the way out to the first buoy, and then basically a tailwind till the last buoy.

I was in the second wave behind the 3 pros (Mr. and Mrs, Lavelle, and some other guy) and the relay teams. Since there was such a strong current there was very little drafting, so I didn't see anyone on my feet the whole race. I ended up coming out of the water in about 15 min, 10th overall including the first wave of 50 or so.

Quick transition and then up the steep hill from the parking lot (think Wildflower with less glory). After winding my way through China Camp State Park and through the Civic Center I headed up Lucas Valley Road. A few miles up and I see Mrs. Lavelle with a flat on the side of the road. What a bummer. She was treating it as a training race I am sure so it was no big deal, plus she was the only women pro/elite.

U-turn and then race back to T2. Another quick transition and off on a suprisingly hilly run. Didnt see another racer on the track until we crossed paths in the last mile. Hands up across the finish, just sneeking under 2 hours. The smoking fast swim helped of course. Oly distance may be the ideal length for me. I will have to explore more of these races. Wildflower maybe?
Results:
http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?pubID=3&rsID=72138
Coble